This week I decided to make one of Tim’s favorite Tuesday Treats… just cuz I love him lots! These are Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes with a chocolate glaze.
Tim loves chocolate! Tim can’t eat a lot of chocolate! Tim can’t eat too much sugar! Tim will eat an entire cake if it’s in plain sight! What to do… what to do? Make him mini versions of his favorite desserts and then he can eat just one portion each night! This makes Tim happy and when Tim is happy, I’m happy!
This flourless chocolate cake recipe is one that I made for Tim for his 45th birthday. He loved it… LOVED IT … but it was so big and there was so much of it that he nearly went into a sugar coma in the 2 days following his birthday celebration. That’s when I decided to cut the recipe down and bake these in muffin tins so that he could eat just one small serving per night. Now mind you, Tim likes this cake well done so that it’s less gooey and dense in the middle. If you like yours the same way, just increase the baking time to 22 minutes. For a dense, super moist cake, leave it at 17 minutes. For a molten middle, bake it for only 13 minutes.
Here are the ingredients – pretty danged simple, yes?
You won’t need a mixer for these babies, just a whisk will do the trick.
To start, melt some of the chocolate chips with some of the butter. The rest will be used for the chocolate glaze. Melt the chips and butter in the microwave. I find that 1 minute on high power works perfectly for me, but your microwave setting may vary, so adjust the time accordingly.
Now place the sugar into the larger mixing bowl, then pour in the melted chocolate/butter mixture and stir well with your whisk.
Once the chocolate is all mixed in and happy, it’s time to add the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla and cocoa powder.
These are some of my favorite kitchen helpers. They're Dang Good and I love 'em!
Almost done! Just grease 6 muffin tins well, or do what I do – use a silicone muffin pan and spray it with Baker’s Joy Baking Spray! In these photo’s you’ll see a thick layer of the spray because it’s a brand new pan and they tend to be sticky on the first time out. After today I won’t need to spray so heavily anymore – woot!
Fill the tins about 3/4 full, then bake them for 22 minutes for a cake like texture. Tim will like you more if you eat them his way. Ok ok, you can just bake them for 17 minutes and get the true texture of a flourless chocolate cake. I won’t tell Tim you did it, I swears!
Once they’re baked to your liking, let them sit for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a bakers rack to cool.
Time to make the glaze! Grab the rest of your butter and chocolate chips. I toss them into a large glass measuring cup so that I can pour the glaze straight onto the cakes as soon as it’s melted.
You’ll also want to put a plate underneath the bakers rack so that you can catch all the chocolate glaze drips. It comes in handy if you need more glaze, just scrape it back into the measuring cup, reheat briefly and voila, more glaze!
And that’s it – you’ve made my Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes! Now get creative with them, cuz these little babies are fun to play with! Add some fancy doo dads, a white chocolate glaze, use half as much batter in each tin to create TWELVE mini flourless chocolate cakes – perfect for kid snacks! I’m sure you’re much more creative than I am, so go wild with them.
- For the Cake:
- ¾ Cup bittersweet chocolate or Semi-Sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch of Salt - Add this if you use Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips!
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- For the Glaze:
- ¾ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line bottoms of muffin tins with parchment paper and lightly grease. Or spray with Baker's Joy Baking Spray.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt together chocolate chips and butter, stirring with a fork until very smooth.
- Pour warm chocolate mixture into a medium mixing bowl with sugar. Whisk to combine. Beat in eggs one at a time, waiting until each has been fully incorporated to add the next, then mix in vanilla extract. Sift cocoa powder into the bowl and whisk until well-combined.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 17 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the cakes and invert onto a bakers rack.
- Make the glaze:
- Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave on high in 1 minute increments, stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth.
- Pour the warm glaze over the cooled cakes using an offset spatula to spread the glaze evenly over the edges and around the sides of the cakes.
- Refrigerate the cakes until the glaze is set. Before serving bring the cakes to room temperature.