Cajun Shepard’s Pie
Cajun Shepard’s Pie is a hearty dish made with our Southern Lima Beans.
On a cool fall day on the lake Cajun Shepard’s Pie warms you up from the inside out. Adding a glass of your favorite wine or beer makes the experience even better.
- 2 9” deep dish pie shells
- 11/2 lbs ground turkey, chicken or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 medium potatoes
- 5 or 8 tbs butter or margarine
- 3 tbs Prudhomme's Meat Magic or other Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 2 tsp Papprika
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp white pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 1 batch of Southern Lima Beans
- Quarter potatoes and place in pot unpeeled, cover with salted water and boil until fork tender.
- In a large skillet over medium heat sauté garlic in 1 tbs butter or margarine (for beef), 3tbs butter or margarine (for chicken or turkey).
- When garlic is browned add meat, Meat Magic or Cajun seasoning and paprika and continue sautéing for about 1 minute.
- Add vegetables, 1tsp salt, ¼tsp white, red and black pepper and cook until meat is browned.
- Remove from heat to cool.
- Drain potatoes and mash with 1tsp salt, ½tsp white, red and black pepper.
- Add 4tbs butter or margarine and enough milk to make potatoes the consistency of frosting.
- Fill each pie shaell about ⅓ full with meat mixture, then another ⅓ with Southern Lima Beans and top with mashed potatoes, smooth to cover the beans.
- Bake at 425 until golden brown, about 30mins.
Thaw overnight and bake at 400 until golden, about 1 hour
Here on Lake Murray, Harriet and I use these kitchen products nearly every day. They're solid and dependable and virtually irreplaceable in our home.